Where is the Database?

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:54 AM
We are running Visual Studio 2008 Team System Development Edition, and it can not handle database projects. From where can I obtain a copy of Oxite database for use with my version of Visual Studio?
Dec 11, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Actually, you can find the database mdf file in the App_Data folder of the Oxite web project. If you run the app it automatically uses your SQL Server 2008 Express engine to attach the MDF file directly on an ad hoc basis. If you would like to move the database to an environment with a SQL Server standard installation, you can use the MDF file itself and attach the database to the MDF file - or take a backup of the database from your development PC and restore that one on the SQL server.

This means, you won't have to consider opening the database project as long as you would not like to change the database schema itself.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:03 PM
You may optionally install the latest Database Edition GDR and update the database project. Download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bb3ad767-5f69-4db9-b1c9-8f55759846ed&displaylang=en#filelist
Dec 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Thank you guys. I missed to change web.config to match my SQLEXPRESS instance name. Now its working fine.

Miguelsaez, Seems like Database Edition GDR only upgrades existing Database editions of Team system. I have a Development edition.
Dec 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM
I'd prefer database script(s). You have the source code to the rest, why not source for the DB?
In this case, my Dev machine is also my SQL server - I have SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition. I have never needed the express edition as well.
I tried attaching the MDF to SQL server, and I get the error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------
Attach database failed for Server 'MYPC'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22+((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Attach+database+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Database 'C:\CODEPLEX\OXITE\OXITE\OXITESITE\APP_DATA\OXITE.DATABASE.MDF' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3415)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=3415&LinkId=20476
--------------------------------------

The files are definitely not read-only.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM
@AnthonySteele I'll ask the obvious question first.  Is the mdf you're trying to attach marked as read-only (on the file system)?  If it isn't, I'm not sure what the problem would be.

We will check-in a SQL file.  It was an oversight on our part and we'll make sure it gets add so it will show up in the next release (sometime next week).
Dec 13, 2008 at 4:22 PM
No. The .mdf and ldf are not read-only.
I am on Vista-64 bit for what it's worth.

I see lots of SQL scripts under Oxite\Oxite.Database\Schema Objects and oxite\Oxite\Oxite.Database\Scripts.
I might have a go at running them in some sort of order tomorrow...
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:26 AM
Get the latest changeset.  We added the fully generated sql file to the project (Oxite.VWDExpress.sln).