Why not just build off of BlogEngine.NET?

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Why does Microsoft have to create ANOTHER CMS or blog platform.  Why can't they just build off of BlogEngine.NETs success and take on development for the engine?

This is total Chaos.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2008 at 8:23 PM
Oxite was built to be a learning tool to help developers learn ASP.NET MVC.  BlogEngine.NET (at least the last time I checked) doesn't run on ASP.NET MVC.  There are lots of advantages to running on ASP.NET MVC as opposed to ASP.NET WebForms and we wanted to show that off and have a good starting point for thos interested.

This is now a community project so we'll see where it goes, but today we don't have anywhere near the functionality of BlogEngine.NET or other blogging engines.  If you're looking to run a blog off of a polished, well established blogging engine, then Oxite is not for you.

I will add this to the FAQ soon to help clear up any confusion.
Dec 11, 2008 at 8:32 PM
Why didn't you complain about this when BlogEngine.NET was announced?  It certainly wasn't the first.

If it were any other company, you wouldn't here this sort of whining.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM
@kfarmer,

Hey man back off.  I am a true Microsoft fan and love the work they do.  I was just wondering why if any were they trying to take the place of BlogEngine.NET and Erik answered that question.  I thought BlogEngine was a GREAT Open source tool and it shouldn't try to be replaced.  It just looked to me for a second that Microsoft was trying to replace it.

@ErikPorter,

Thanks for the answer.  Appreciate it a lot.
Dec 13, 2008 at 11:50 AM
Edited Dec 13, 2008 at 11:51 AM
There are several ASP MVC-blog projects here on codeplex alone. Not to mention blogging platforms on other hosts (e.g. subtext) or in other languages (e.g. WordPress) You could call it "total chaos", or you could call it an open market. You could call it a lot of experiments going on.

It's worth remembering when winners emerge that standards and interop between the winners is good.