Multiple sites from one install

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Can oxite serve multiple sites from a single install? It can apparently save multiple sites in a single database but not serve them from a common install. I'm talking about the kind of funtionality that Wordpress MU has - one database, one install, and I can point as many domains as I want at it and they are all independent Wordpress installs (logically speaking.)

I'm guessing that a lot of the infrastructure required for this setup is already present, so why not take it to completion? Is this on the roadmap somewhere? I really want to see something in the admin area that lets me create a new site, provide a list of host headers (which is already present), and get a fresh new site on that domain.

Nikhil Dabas.

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM

We've thought about this too, but haven't seen any interest from anyone until your post.  Would you run your own site to let people setup Oxite blogs like WordPress does?

A lot of what's needed is already built, but there's more that would be needed.  Definitely doable, but there are so many hours in the day and we're currently very busy with the next release.  Why don't you build it yourself?  Happy to answer any questions you have along the way.  :)

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Allowing people to setup their own blogs would be a nice benefit of this kind of functionality. The business case that I had in mind was that you could run lots of websites from a single install and it would just make management of those websites easier.

A lot of people use WordPress as a generic CMS, and I've seen a lot of web design firms (my own company included) use WordPress MU to manage dozens of websites this way. In fact, our company has its own ASP.NET CMS which has this kind of functionality - and it's really cool to be able to just point an A record and have a website up and running in five minutes. My clients can login and edit their own websites too. This is the sort of thing that I'd like to see in Oxite - WordPress MU is a bit of a hack really, if you look at how it manages the database. Oxite already has the right kind of database schema for this functionality.

I know you guys are really busy with the upcoming release, so I'm going to have a look at the code and see what needs to be done. I'll post my ideas here.

Keep up the good work Erik. :)

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Ah, right...that's a really good scenario actually...ISVs.  We'll think about that one more, but as always, time is a problem.  Would love to hear your ideas.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Hello,

When searching for CMS/MVC i found this project, congratulations on this superb work.
As ndabas, i am aiming for a multi-tenant system using Oxite. After revolving the source code, i realized you have the system pratically implemented...(except for the admin area).
Right now i am trying to get this to work. The first step would be to get the instance name from the "url.Host", and removing the setting "Oxite.InstanceName".

I was thinking of placing a method in the "SiteService" class for this, and replace the calls to the "AppSettingsHelperExtensions.GetInstanceName" method with the new method.

What do you think ?

Best Regards,
Carlos Fernandes