Game Plan

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Now that PDC is over does anyone want to volunteer a game plan?

Honestly, I think things have changed SO much I'm starting to get a little frightened about how the upgrade from the old Alpha Feb 09 release is going to go for me.

And ya, I know, it was alpha, and this is beta, and it is not for wimps, etc.  Just looking for a little update on the game plan now that PDC is out of the way.  I'm starting to see MIX10 comments in the source code tab now...so are we parked until MIX10 is out of the way?

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Not sure if you saw the news, but Nathan and I moved to a different team called "Orchard" in the ASP.NET team (almost 3 weeks ago).  It's still pretty early, but we're building a new app (full CMS)...some of which is coming from Oxite.

It's still extremely early, but since this is really our second go around and there's a full team dedicated to building it full time, it's going much faster.  There will be an upgrade path from Oxite or Orchard.  This is definitely the right path for us to take Oxite to the next level (but really as a product now instead of a side project).  Do check it out, but again, it's still really early.  There have only been 3 iterations now (each iteration is 3 weeks long) and Nathan and I have only been involved for 1 iteration.

http://orchard.codeplex.com

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Just to make sure I understand the statement here...at some point Orchard will take OVER what Oxite began?

Will there be a cost?  Will it have blog-like features?  I mean, can it really take over for oxite at some point?  And is it going to be viable from a license perspective for me as a hobby blogger?

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Orchard is open source.  No cost.  Yes, it will have blog features (eventually being greater than or equal to Oxite).

Oxite will still exist however but as a more targeted beast.  Our old team is still using Oxite to run the PDC and MIX sites and will continue to do so and continue to make the source available.  Orchard will take over where Oxite started in building an extensible CMS platform.

Does that clear it all up?